Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?

Go down 
+7
bdobbins79
blackprix
33jacket
geebee2
Tech Head
droopyGT
BUZZingFAN
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BUZZingFAN
JacketFan
JacketFan

CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 3:51 pm

As revealed last night on Adamm/Irish E's show by BeeBad, CPJ wants the OL to get down to around 275lbs.

Thoughts?

I can see the positives and negatives.

The obvious positives are it increases OL's quickness and agility to get out in space to wreck havoc down field. In regards to the negatives, the part that concerns me the most at this point is recruiting. Someone with NFL aspirations might not like the sound of playing so thin; however, Adamm brought up some interesting insight to that point.

He believes it was more of a target or a goal for the OL set by CPJ rather than an ultimatum. In other words, if someone who carries their weight well is at 280 or 285, it's not like CPJ is going to sit him. He specifically mentioned some guys on the team current who carry their weight well, while there are others who probably could use some trimming down. Also, the NFL doesn’t shy away from folks because they’re light. They’re able to put the appropriate weight on them. Actually, they might like the fact the guy is used to moving around so it may even out.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
BUZZingFAN
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:04 pm

For reference purposes, here's the OL's weight per ramblinwreck.com:

- A.J. Smith 6'7 299lb
- David Brown 6'3 271lb
- Phil Smith 6'6 290lb
- Omoregie Uzzi 6'3 291lb
- Andrew Gardner 6'6 297lb
- Joseph Gilbert 6'4 288lb
- Cord Howard 6'5 308lb
- Jason Hill 6'4 299lb
- Nick Clayor 6'6 304lb
- Nick McRae 6'4 290lb
- Dan Voss 6'4 294lb
- Clyde Yandell 6'5 296lb

Granted, some of these are Freshman that will redshirt, but it appears some have more work to do than others.
Back to top Go down
droopyGT
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz
droopyGT

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:05 pm

I agree that 275 is just a number. It's something to get the guys thinking. They must alter a lot about the way they play the line now. One of those things is quickly moving the line rather than holding the line. If guys that aren't quick/agile enough then dropping some weight may help them.
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:07 pm

BUZZingFAN wrote:
As revealed last night on Adamm/Irish E's show by BeeBad, CPJ wants the OL to get down to around 275lbs.

Thoughts?

The obvious positives are it increases OL's quickness and agility to get out in space to wreck havoc down field. In regards to the negatives, the part that concerns me the most at this point is recruiting. Someone with NFL aspirations might not like the sound of playing so thin; however, Adamm brought up some interesting insight to that point.

He believes it was more of a target or a goal for the OL set by CPJ rather than an ultimatum. In other words, if someone who carries their weight well is at 280 or 285, it's not like CPJ is going to sit him. He specifically mentioned some guys on the team current who carry their weight well, while there are others who probably could use some trimming down. Also, the NFL doesn’t shy away from folks because they’re light. They’re able to put the appropriate weight on them. Actually, they might like the fact the guy is used to moving around so it may even out.

Thoughts?

I think it will keep good OLmen away. I think many OLmen will not want to lose that extra weight when they can play at another school without that extra task. I do think it will hurt players if they dropped down to 270's. Yes they could gain weight, but most of the time NFL teams want players already ready and developed. College and high school is more about development while pros is play calling, and strategy.

However, PJ might not want the typical good OLmen that other schools want. For instance we stopped going after Page who was going to come to Tech, and was a very good OLmen. Claytor I think might also be a player who doesn't fit into PJ's system.

BTW PJ does not seem like a guy who sticks very close to his word. 270's he says I think he means 270's
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:08 pm

[quote="Tech Head"]
BUZZingFAN wrote:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think it will keep good OLmen away. I think many OLmen will not want to lose that extra weight when they can play at another school without that extra task. I do think it will hurt players if they dropped down to 270's. Yes they could gain weight, but most of the time NFL teams want players already ready and developed. College and high school is more about development while pros is play calling, and strategy.

However, PJ might not want the typical good OLmen that other schools want. For instance we stopped going after Page who was going to come to Tech, and was a very good OLmen. Claytor I think might also be a player who doesn't fit into PJ's system.

BTW PJ does not seem like a guy who sticks very close to his word. 270's he says I think he means 270's, or darn near that.

king Tech Head
Back to top Go down
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: reply   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:25 pm

I am in the group who think this is just a target. I do think that it may hurt us in attracting the big ol that recruiting sites love to put as 4 and 5 stars, but there are plenty of 3 star guys out there that will fit this system. We need OL that fit our system first and foremost.......we may not go after those big star guys, but there will still be plenty to go after. I am sure there is a plan in place and PJ will get there, but it does make me worry a little about current players.
Back to top Go down
33jacket
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:08 pm

CPJ never said this, and factually i know he doesn't want his G, C G combo to be light weight for the point of blocking DT's for the B-back.

What probably happened is a players father, or friend or someone said this as a quip, but reality the point of the 275 comment isnt' that HE WANTS them that light weight, its that he wants guys that can move. IF you can hold 310 lbs and move...you will have a spot on this line

in any event I have never hear PJ actually say he wants his OL at this weight. I have even heard him mention D Brown is lightweight and D Brown is right at 270 - 275....take it for what its worth.
Back to top Go down
droopyGT
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz
droopyGT

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 pm

33jacket wrote:
CPJ never said this, and factually i know he doesn't want his G, C G combo to be light weight for the point of blocking DT's for the B-back.

What probably happened is a players father, or friend or someone said this as a quip, but reality the point of the 275 comment isnt' that HE WANTS them that light weight, its that he wants guys that can move. IF you can hold 310 lbs and move...you will have a spot on this line

in any event I have never hear PJ actually say he wants his OL at this weight. I have even heard him mention D Brown is lightweight and D Brown is right at 270 - 275....take it for what its worth.

Thanks for the insight, (as always) 33.
Back to top Go down
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 pm

33jacket wrote:

I was going to say something similar. Can't imagine coach backing himself into a corner with a statement like this.
Back to top Go down
bdobbins79
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 pm

I seem to remember somewhere that Coach Paul Johnson said that he had a franchise linemen in the NFL. I could be wrong on this though.
Back to top Go down
3518techie
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:39 pm

33jacket wrote:

I agree with 33Jacket as well. It would be crazy to have that kind of number. Why would we keep recruiting Uzzi? He's over 300 pounds. No way he can get down to 275. 275 was the average at Navy but that was a school requirement not Johnson's.
Back to top Go down
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz
GT_Fox

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 11:13 am

Definitely just a goal and a way to drive in the point that he wants them to be mobile linemen.
Back to top Go down
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:16 pm

33jacket wrote:

After thinking about this maybe this was just told to Trey. They is no doubt the boy has the passion , but maybe the staff felt he needed to drop a good deal of wait to play the center spot like they envisioned.
Back to top Go down
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 1:39 pm

i understand the purpose of dropping weight, especially in this scheme. but what about 3rd and 2 situations or 4th and 1 and for that matter goal line situations? you cant exactly pound it up the middle with a smaller line and you cant run the option every short yardage situation. I highly doubt he would be putting EVERY OL at or below the 270's.
Back to top Go down
mack
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 10:32 pm

-Zack- wrote:
i understand the purpose of dropping weight, especially in this scheme. but what about 3rd and 2 situations or 4th and 1 and for that matter goal line situations? you cant exactly pound it up the middle with a smaller line and you cant run the option every short yardage situation. I highly doubt he would be putting EVERY OL at or below the 270's.
Agree with you on putting it in end zone and other situations.I think the main thing PJ is hinting strongly at is that you must be able to move if you run the triple option and hopefully we score often before we get inside the ten yard line or we may have trouble.Meat vs Meat inside the five is critical since its a mass game there.I think getting guys in shape to play is most important not how much they weigh.Big and quick usually beats light and quick.
Back to top Go down
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz
GT_Fox

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Quote :
Agree with you on putting it in end zone and other situations.I think the main thing PJ is hinting strongly at is that you must be able to move if you run the triple option and hopefully we score often before we get inside the ten yard line or we may have trouble.Meat vs Meat inside the five is critical since its a mass game there.I think getting guys in shape to play is most important not how much they weigh.Big and quick usually beats light and quick.

Big and quick sounds good, but hard nose pounding the ball isn't the only way to gain a few yards... even on short yardage plays.
Back to top Go down
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu May 01, 2008 2:34 pm

GT_Fox wrote:
Quote :

Big and quick sounds good, but hard nose pounding the ball isn't the only way to gain a few yards... even on short yardage plays.

I will be going to the "meet the coaches" event tonight at the Cobb Galleria Center.
I plan on asking Coach about the 275 OLinemen comment.

IMO, he's saying you can be 295 but you better move like you're 275 Cool
Back to top Go down
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz
GT_Fox

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? EmptyThu May 01, 2008 4:17 pm

Quote :
I will be going to the "meet the coaches" event tonight at the Cobb Galleria Center.
I plan on asking Coach about the 275 OLinemen comment.

IMO, he's saying you can be 295 but you better move like you're 275

Looking forward to reading about event and any clarification on that. I wanted to make it out but have a shceduling conflict so I am glad that someone is getting to go. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?   CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts? Empty

Back to top Go down

CPJ wants OL at 275lbs. - Thoughts?
Page 1 of 1