Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How Difficult IS IT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

How Difficult IS IT Empty
PostSubject: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 pm

being a student/athlete at Georgia Tech???

I'd be interested in reading some personal stories -

I became a GT fan a long time ago because of the respect I have for any athlete that goes to GT and has to contend with a very tough curriculum.
Back to top Go down
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
TheMachine

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 7:27 pm

It is difficult but very doable. (is that a word? lol) The thing you learn best is how to cram, use your tutors/connections, scheduling and time management. I find it sometimes harder to get motivated when I have extra time on my hands compared to being very busy. When your very busy you also appreciate the rest and down time alot more. Although, I am enjoying my extra free time right now, that will soon come to an end!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
gatech87
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: former tennis player in the mid-late 80's   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 9:38 pm

3 year teammates with coaches Shelton and Thorne. If you can make it through the first year with your head still on you've got it licked!

I was starting as a freshman so I was trying to get my mind around the level of competition, was trying to hang in there with the classload, and was a pledge.

Was about a .500 performer as a freshman. Once I got through my freshman year I felt I could ratchet things up ALOT (as opposed to being in the survival mode) and went 16-5 as a soph and did better in the classroom as well.

You've got to stay time disciplined, and not be afraid to seek help if overwhelmed (academic advisors, tutors, coaches). It's definitely doable...
Back to top Go down
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 pm

gatech87 wrote:
3 year teammates with coaches Shelton and Thorne. If you can make it through the first year with your head still on you've got it licked!

I was starting as a freshman so I was trying to get my mind around the level of competition, was trying to hang in there with the classload, and was a pledge.

Was about a .500 performer as a freshman. Once I got through my freshman year I felt I could ratchet things up ALOT (as opposed to being in the survival mode) and went 16-5 as a soph and did better in the classroom as well.

You've got to stay time disciplined, and not be afraid to seek help if overwhelmed (academic advisors, tutors, coaches). It's definitely doable...

87: when you were in school ... you must have played for Curry and Ross .. correct?

I got the impression from the outside looking in ... both these coaches were 'academically aware' of how their players were doing.

I know I heard more about Ross in this regard than I did Curry.
Back to top Go down
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 10:39 pm

TheMachine wrote:
It is difficult but very doable. (is that a word? lol) The thing you learn best is how to cram, use your tutors/connections, scheduling and time management. I find it sometimes harder to get motivated when I have extra time on my hands compared to being very busy. When your very busy you also appreciate the rest and down time alot more. Although, I am enjoying my extra free time right now, that will soon come to an end!

Are you taught 'time management' as an athlete? I actually think it would be a good idea to have that kind of teaching - especially as a student/athlete.

I was a student only and it was tough and there were not directions as to how to work it.
Back to top Go down
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
TheMachine

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

All freshmen are required to take a "total person program class" once a week for the entire first year. They cover everything from time management to even dinner Etiquette. It was kinda helpful but kinda become a bore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 10:52 pm

TheMachine wrote:
All freshmen are required to take a "total person program class" once a week for the entire first year. They cover everything from time management to even dinner Etiquette. It was kinda helpful but kinda become a bore.

I believe Homer Rice started this program.

The etiquette part should not take a whole year but the 'time management' part could be ongoing ... especially if you are seeking help and in a tough situation.
Back to top Go down
gatech87
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 12:06 am

quote]

87: when you were in school ... you must have played for Curry and Ross .. correct?

quote]

I was tennis. However, both Curry and Ross kept a tight leash as far as I could tell. Seemed moreso than Cremins although I think he did a pretty good job of recruiting people who would be decent students and therefore required less supervision, IMO...

Yes, Homer invented the Total Person concept. For whatever reason I didn't participate. Probably could've used it. I'm not sure why we all didn't. I remember something about sitting in on a meeting where it was explained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Difficult IS IT   How Difficult IS IT Empty

Back to top Go down

How Difficult IS IT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meet The Machine :: Georgia Tech Football :: Georgia Tech Football-
Jump to: