Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DadVail08
WannaBee
WannaBee
avatar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:20 am

Lighten up buddy. It's not the end of the world. Jim Tressel coached the same level as CPJ did at Southern before going to Ohio State.

Try not to insult the people in Statesboro, either. You're alienating potential fans all over the state. There are rednecks who root for Tech as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clainhart3
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 am

-Zack- wrote:
FACT: Johnson has never coached a high quality divison 1 team. Yes, he has been a succesful coach at GSU (BTW I guess that's in Georgia somewhere?.. Where is that redneckville?) and sure he did have some wins with the Navy.
But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....

As someone else already pointed out, but you happened to not reply too, West Virginia runs a verison of the triple option and I believe that they have done fairly well with it. Not only have they been in the top ten the past 2 years at some point in the season, I believe that they beat GT in the Gator bowl two years ago. So what was that about "the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC"? It was good enough to beat GT when we had Tenuta. That is fact enough for me that the TO will work just fine.

BTW there are several other teams that run the TO in D-1 college ball who have done pretty good. Florida's offense looks a bit like a TO, Appalachian State beat Michigan with it, Oregan ran a simular system. Now these systems aren't exactly the same as what CPJ will run, but close enough to show that indeed the TO can and will work in college football.

Next time before you speak check your "facts" again, because you sound like a dumbass
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 33
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:59 am

I dont know where you guys get off on saying that all i speak are facts. I made one statement, and that is "FACT:He has never coached a high quality div. 1 team"... if your too dumb to realize that is what i was stating as a fact then dont bother TRYING to quote me! And by 'quality' I mean there not good! Im not questioning their integrity or loyalty to their school, thats a completely different topic but thanks for bringing it up cause it was effing pointless. Im not passing everything I say off as facts, but if you'd rather view it like that, then feel free, it makes for fun debating.

Also I'm glad to see PJ practicing the passing game, God know he needs the practice (ready for the fact, here it comes!..). Navy averaged less than 100 yards passing in the last 3 years PJ was there. One year they averaged 56 yards passing! If your a division 1 school and you cant pass for more than 100 yards in a game, Im thinking its a coaching problem, not a player problem.

Concerning Dadvail's comment (i should say no comment): i could go on and list a lot of coaches did great at other schools too. but ill just give you one. I live in Tampa,Fl. there's a school called USF here, ever heard of them? They were ranked for a good portion of the season. by the way the football program has only been around for 10 years! and they have a coach who brought them from ground up. so dont bother trying the name game cause that could go on forever.

as for your comment about bashing rednecks, your right, that was wrong on my part and i apologize.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 33
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:24 pm

im going to try and reply to cainhart3: lol (this will be funny)
K, first of all Florida's offense looks NOTHING like a TO, thats probably the worst reference i have ever heard! If you mean Tebow is option 1,2, and 3 then ya your right! Secondly, trying to say App. State is a good exaple is a poor idea! you shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Jeopardy time!
Name one team App. State beat other than Mich...
..Oh you cant, thats cause they DONT PLAY ANYBODY!!

Point #3, now you bring up "OregAn who runs a simUlar system".. thats with an O and similar withn an I. next time copy and paste your comment to a word document and do spell check.. anyways Mich. lost to both App. State and OregOn, ever occur to you that they just dont know how to defend against the option! Hence, the reason they werent ranked!

So next time you speak check your spelling and YOUR facts!!! thanks for the comedy though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theDude47
WannaBee
WannaBee
avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-03-24
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:07 pm

The main reason Navy averaged less than a hundred yards a game was more to do with their size on offense than PJ's scheme. The average O lineman at Navy was less than 300 pounds and most weren't that tall. He also had QBs that were most often not recruited by other schools and had a serious lack of throwing ability. He ran more at Navy because of that and would have thrown more if he could have. I am sure we will pass about 30% of the time and that is very similar to West Virginia who had a 70/30 run to pass ratio last year. At GT, PJ will be able to recruit bigger lineman and have better QBs that can pass. The only real differences between PJ's offense and other schools that run the option, is that PJ doesn't run his out of the shotgun. Florida's and Oregon's schemes may look to you radically different from PJ's, but essentially they work a lot of the same way. A lot of the blocking schemes and reads are very similar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clainhart3
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:18 pm

-Zack- wrote:
im going to try and reply to cainhart3: lol (this will be funny)
K, first of all Florida's offense looks NOTHING like a TO, thats probably the worst reference i have ever heard! If you mean Tebow is option 1,2, and 3 then ya your right! Secondly, trying to say App. State is a good exaple is a poor idea! you shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Jeopardy time!
Name one team App. State beat other than Mich...
..Oh you cant, thats cause they DONT PLAY ANYBODY!!

Point #3, now you bring up "OregAn who runs a simUlar system".. thats with an O and similar withn an I. next time copy and paste your comment to a word document and do spell check.. anyways Mich. lost to both App. State and OregOn, ever occur to you that they just dont know how to defend against the option! Hence, the reason they werent ranked!

So next time you speak check your spelling and YOUR facts!!! thanks for the comedy though

First off, I am glad that you dodged all of the facts in my post and simply bashed my spelling. Oh noes Mr. Grammar nazi. I spelled something wrong. I guess that makes my point invalid. Check your post, you misspelled "with." Way to prove your point.

Anyways, I said that Florida's offense looks a bit like a TO. It is more of a spread offense than a TO. Now, I do agree that we are going to have to throw the ball to be successful, but when you look at Florida they apply the same strategy that the TO uses. They have a quarterback who can run, several backs that can run, and a potent throwing offense. I admit Florida wasn't the best choice for a comparison.

App. state beat a Div -1 A school and they were the Div-1 AA champs. You may think that that is nothing to be proud of, but believe me that is no easy task.

Oregon was dominating everyone, putting up at least 24 points a game (which came in their only loss before they lost Dixon) and then Dixon got hurt. Once Dixon was out they couldn't run their TO-like offense and they fell apart. Oregon had 3 rushing touchdowns against USC one of the best defenses in College last season.

Then there is West Virginia, who you still keep avoiding. Again they beat GT two years ago in the Gator bowl with their version of the option. In that game they put up 311 rushing yards against our very good run defense. Then they ran and over everyone this year. Ya they f-ed up in the Pitt game, but besides that they played pretty darn good. They then went on to put up 48 points and 349 yards on OU, one of the top 25 teams in rush defense.

However, you said that a TO will not work b/c "because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated." (note the spelling of “every time” and “annihilated”) Tebow was injured on a QB keeper that many teams run, Dixon was injured while scrambling from the pocket, the App. state QB never got hurt and Pat White hurt his thigh on a run during the South Florida game, he strained a muscle in his chest against Syracuse and then hurt his hand against Pitt. I am not sure about the Syracuse game, but the leg injury against USF wasn't major and then the hand injury was on a QB keeper, which can happen to any QB in any system. Although I can't deny that the QB is at risk in the TO system I don't think that they are at much more risk.

The simple fact of the matter is that the TO can and will work in College football. Yes, you have to throw the ball to be successful, but I believe that we have the personal to make that happen. As stated before, Nesbitt had a great passing career in high school. Throwing for 2,844 yards and 35 TDs in his Junior year alone. Also, beside maybe Rich Rodriguez, there isn't anyone out there who knows the TO better than CPJ. With him leading our boys I feel very confident that we will be successful. Maybe not this year, or next year, but once CPJ gets some of his own recruits in there and trained, it will be nasty.

Show me a team where the TO hasn't worked, and the team has gone to shit after they started to use it. Show me that and then I might start to side with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
I Hate UGA
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 1
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: GIVE THE GUY A BREAK!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:38 pm

In ANY job, when you hire someone, you're giving them a chance based on what you've seen in their resume. You DON'T assume they are going to be horrible employees. CPJ comes with high credentials, and we need to look at his progress RIGHT NOW, and right now he's doing a great job with the GT players. Zach, why not be a fan for once and throw a little support his way. The last thing we need is more cynical bandwagon loser GT fans. Go to Athens if that's how you're gonna be. We don't need you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 83
Join date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: putting words in my mouth huh   Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Did I say PJ was great.? Nope don't think so.. He is now our head coach and that is why I will support him. Zack, yes there are plenty of kids your age who know a lot about football. They usually are former players or are historians of the game.

You point out the fact that he has not coached at a high quality d1 team before coming to Tech. That is a fact to you , but does nothing to support your theory of Johnson not being the right fit for Tech. The fact is he has won everywhere he has gone. That is a fact and that actually does more to prove your theory wrong then your fact ever does to support your statement.

Lastly I would have supported any of the coaches on our short list the same way I am willing to support PJ. I am willing to give them a chance before I make an off the wall statement like your initial post. Supporting a head coach is not saying he is the second coming of Bobby Dodd.

I apologize to all for my wonderful grammar. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-23
Age : 29
Location : Rome, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm

zack, great way to be controversial to boost posts so you can boost yours and accumulate stars.

you have made a great many utterly ridiculous topics and posts in 48 hours. For that I commend you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 33
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:58 pm

clainhart- are you crazy? i hit on all your "facts" that you posted except for WV because they do operate the TO well, and I'm not denying that. Trust me i hope it works but how many top 25 teams run the TO

also there is a difference between me accidently hitting an extra key, and not knowing how to spell a two syllable word and a STATE. oh, and sorry for misspelling a word you probably cant pronounce.

Listen i never said i hate the guy, you all make it sound like I'm trying to kick him out of here, i just dont believe in the system in this confrence, and Im just trying to prove my point that it wont work, and that he has to prove himself before Im sucking him off like the rest of you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 33
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:14 pm

romanjacket45, your right my greatest concern in life is about how many stars i get on a blog site.. you hit the nail on the head, you figured me out! i havent wanted gold stars so much since 1st grade!

Oh, and ya your right i post some pretty stupid topics, like this one, which has generated more hits than anyother topic.

ya you make posts about uniforms, your right what i talk about is stupid, uniforms are far more important than the game, Great point romanjacket45!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgiafan
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: As the enemy, here's my two cents   Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Paul Johnson was a great hire for Tech, possibly the best hire that could have been made. He knows the state, has a local following, respect from local coaches, gets more out of less talent, is accustomed to stringent academic requirements, and speaks boldly and without any spin.

In short, he's perfect for what Tech needs right now. That said, he's also a risky hire. Any time you put that kind of money into a new coach it is a risk, but when that coach intends to come in and establish an unconventional offense for a modern-major conference program and recruit players that are suited to run that offense or bust (the small linemen, small backs, option QBs, etc.), you're really putting a lot of confidence in the guy.

I personally hope it doesn't work out and that Tech doesn't beat UGA, but it seems more likely that this is exactly what Tech needs to get some positive press generated, rebrand the football program, and start winning more consistently.

And for the record, I am a UGA graduate, obsessive Georgia football fan. Nice to meet you all.


Last edited by georgiafan on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishE
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Why would a UGA fan join a GT site?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
georgiafan
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: People talk on rival boards all the time   Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm

Some do it to flame and be jerks, but I just find the change in perspective interesting. I don't usually post on other teams' boards, and when I do, I'm respectful. I usually stick to Rivals.com, but Tech has virtually no presence on that site to interact with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mastacow53
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 7
Join date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 pm

As a Georgia Southern alumni, it always frustrated me that GT would never play GSU. Why would Tech never play GSU? Because they ran an oddball option offense that was hard to prepare for. The year that VanGorder coached GSU and dumped the option, GT said now that the option was gone they would consider playing GSU.

Being a GT fan, I'm glad the Jackets will be running that oddball option offense that's so hard to prepare for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-23
Age : 29
Location : Rome, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:35 am

zack go put on your dawg pjs and tuck yourself into your dawg sheeted bed but don't bash a man who had held two practices yet. Withhold your criticism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 33
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am

Romanjacket, you wouldnt be trying to get a bunch of gold stars now would you, Ive noticed quite a few posts "within the last 48 hours".. Then again that would make you SUPERCOOL if you had a bunch of gold stars, right!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-23
Age : 29
Location : Rome, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 am

Actually man I work at a desk at a gym and have a ton of downtime and end up surfing the web... sorry for the earlier comments, especially in light of our mutual hatred of BeeBad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTAUfan
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: GT Coach   Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 am

There has been quite a bit of arguing going back and forth about CPJ not coaching for a high quality D1 football program (FACT). CPJ still has never coached for a high quality D1 football program and wont this year. GT is no longer that program- much from the last 6-7 years of mediocre results. GT would not get a high profile D1 coach to come be our coach this year to make the drastic changes that everyone wants, why would a coach want to downgrade him self and take less money anyway? What GT did get however is an over qualified coach who is ready to IMPROVE a program that can become a national contender and become a top D1 program. CPJ puts players on the field and makes them better, results have proven that(FACT). He even has succeeded at the D1 level against D1 teams, with well below average talent. He deserves the shot of being a coach at GT, and he is the best person for the job. PS.. GSU is a helluva a football program, look at UGA GSU games- they will over perform and keep those games close. I am glad GT hasnt played them recently or we might have an extra loss. Lets hope we can end the streak very soon. Looking forward to 2008
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mack
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz


Posts : 32
Join date : 2008-03-25
Age : 70
Location : wadley ga

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:08 pm

DadVail08 wrote:
Lighten up buddy. It's not the end of the world. Jim Tressel coached the same level as CPJ did at Southern before going to Ohio State.

Try not to insult the people in Statesboro, either. You're alienating potential fans all over the state. There are rednecks who root for Tech as well.
Telll you the truth if you want to see good football and ejoy Saturday afternnoon,go to Statesboro and watch a game.tailgateing is out of this world and you always have a great seat.No hassle with parking and if they are playing Furman,APS and Woffard,you will see an exciting ballgame.I am glad we have a redneck contingent if you ask me we need fire and brimstone at our games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DadVail08
WannaBee
WannaBee
avatar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 pm

I completely agree, mack. I completely agree. I would have gone to GSU if I hadn't been accepted to Tech. Can't wait to see what Hatcher can do in his 2nd year there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPBurdell
JacketFan
JacketFan


Posts : 12
Join date : 2008-03-25
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm

mack wrote:
DadVail08 wrote:
Lighten up buddy. It's not the end of the world. Jim Tressel coached the same level as CPJ did at Southern before going to Ohio State.

Try not to insult the people in Statesboro, either. You're alienating potential fans all over the state. There are rednecks who root for Tech as well.
Telll you the truth if you want to see good football and ejoy Saturday afternnoon,go to Statesboro and watch a game.tailgateing is out of this world and you always have a great seat.No hassle with parking and if they are playing Furman,APS and Woffard,you will see an exciting ballgame.I am glad we have a redneck contingent if you ask me we need fire and brimstone at our games.

As a proud alum of GSC (college when I got out), I second your views of game day in Statesboro. We went to the Furman game in Nov. (BTW, that kick was good) and I thought the same thing. Good tailgating, good game, great atmosphere. We should organize a Tech trip to Statesboro on one of the off (away game) weekends for Tech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigsexy
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Zach, my friend   Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:26 am

Let's let the "stats" that we GT fans care about do the talking....

1997 Georgia Southern 10–3 7–1 1st
1998 Georgia Southern 14–1 8–0 1st
1999 Georgia Southern 13–2 7–1 T-1st W Div II Champ
2000 Georgia Southern 13–2 7–1 1st W Div II Champ.
2001 Georgia Southern 12–2 7–1 T-1st
2002 Navy 2–10
2003 Navy 8–5
2004 Navy 10–2 W Emerald Bowl
2005 Navy 8–4 W Poinsettia Bowl
2006 Navy 9–4 L Meineke Car Care Bowl
2007 Navy 8–5 L Bowl

Albeit, the Navy record isn't quite what we want.. but here are the few years BEFORE PJ took over

1998 3-8-0
1999 5-7-0
2000 1-10-0
2001 0-10-0

Here is what he has accomplished as a coach:

2004 Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year
2000 AFCA NCAA I-AA Coach of the Year
1999 AFCA NCAA I-AA Coach of the Year
1998 Sports Network I-AA Coach of the Year
1998 Eddie Robinson Award
1997, 1998 Southern Conference Coach of the Year

This doesn't even include the amazing offenses he produced at Hawaii...another program with little funding and bad recruiting.

As a coach myself, the triple option is a valid offense no matter who you have defending it. It's like any other offense, it is drawn up so that if it is executed, it will be successful.
In my opinion, it will be VERY successful in the ACC where it isn't seen. If you played against it, then you know, to stop the option, you have to know who has the ball. And the more you
play against it, the more stoppable it becomes. Therefore, it will be to PJ's advantage to play in the ACC. He has never had the talent that he has and will get in his tenure at GT. He will only
improve on his amazing coaching career.

There, my friend Zach, are the facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin


Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:26 am

Great Info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meetthemachine.forumotion.com
PoppaNovember
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-29
Age : 52
Location : Arlington, VA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 pm

Nice post B-S,

Like the numbers and awards show, PJ is a proven winner at the college level, who knows how to handle a football team with the kind of academic demands off the field that GT requires.

You can debate whether his O-scheme will work till you're blue ===> Suspect
But the proof will be over the next 3 seasons. Having a discussion like this now, before he'd even had his players in pads, seems like barking at the moon. Fun, maybe, but ultimately you get a sore throat and look like a jackass.

I like his offense because its damned exciting to watch. After the anemic offensive schemes we got during the Chan era, having something so radically different is exactly the breath of fresh air we needed.

PN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   

Back to top Go down
 
Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!
Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Peter Stastny: Johnson/Stewart trade destroyed the Avs!
» Jack Johnson irate over GM Dean Lombardi's comments
» Coach Brooks Johnson hand picks his elite squad
» Kale Johnson - Sprint star in the making
» This is your Life: 'Johnnie' Johnson, Spitfire Ace

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meet The Machine :: Georgia Tech Football :: Georgia Tech Football-
Jump to: