Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PoppaNovember
Buzz
Buzz

It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW Empty
PostSubject: It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW   It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm so excited about Tech Spring football practice, I've almost forgotten to pay attention . But once the Spring Game is over, it's time for the Fastest Game on Two Feet.

Looking at the NCAA D-1 lacrosse rankings, the ACC has four of the top six ranked teams in the country! Why is Tech missing the party? We've had some success playing club LAX in the SELC, but until we take the next step, we're still in the minor leagues.

Tonight, at 8pm on THE U, the number 3 ranked Terps will take on the number 9 ranked Navy Mids right up the road at Byrd Stadium in College Park. I won't be satisfied until I can see those slick GT Lacrosse helmets splashed across my bigscreen while we smoke the hated DOOKIES in the ACC lacrosse tournament.

Growing up in Riverdale, GA we hadn't even heard of Lacrosse, much less played the sport. But now I'm in the DC area, and Lacrosse is hot. All three of my daughters play, I picked up the sport at age 38, and it's amazing.

What's it gonna take to bring NCAA and ACC level lacrosse to The Flats?
Back to top Go down
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz
GT_Fox

PostSubject: Re: It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW   It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 pm

LAX is definitely a fun sport to watch and play. I would love to see the Jackets make the jump up to the bigs. I just don't think the popularity has spread down south enough for us to justify the move.

The other sport i would like to see Tech get more involved in is soccer. Men's preferably but women's would work too, although I wouldn't be excited about facing the Tar Heel women's team. They are scary dominant.

I grew up watching and playing soccer and would love to see some gold shorts and boots kicking around a soccer ball.
Back to top Go down
allamericanbuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan
allamericanbuzz

PostSubject: Re: It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW   It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:25 pm

I think GT could put together a really good D1 Men's Soccer/LAX/Hockey program. We seem to have been very good in these sports at the club level. Hockey might be more of a stretch since, although I really just don't know enough about the sport at the collegiate level. The problem, from what I've heard, is money. We're trying to dig ourselves out of a hole financially (hence the club level seats and now the ticket licensing program) and non-revenue sports like these are just going to keep getting put on the backburner.
Back to top Go down
That_Guy1018
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: From a former GT Lax Player   It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Also from GA, I hadn't heard of lacrosse until my senior year of HS when a buddy got me playing. That carried over to GT, where I certainly wasn't anything spectacular, but got my playing time in after my freshman year. Just in response to taking that next step- I think GT is still a ways away, mainly because of recruiting. About half the lacrosse team was out of state, and half in, whereas the football team is mostly in-state. The point I'm making here is, until GA starts producing top-notch talent from which GT could pull, we'll be pulling the out of state guys that are pretty good and mixing them with GA guys that are still developing. Only a handful of the guys on the GT team could really play at a D-I level starting, so until a majority of the team is at that level, so will GT. It's hard to pull D-I level talent to a club team when there are so many good ACC D-I lax teams, so it will take time.

As an aside, FSU tried to go D-I with their lax program 2 years ago and was denied. I don't have the full details, but at least some schools in the SELC are headed that direction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW   It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Lacrosse Season, Dammit! And Tech is missing the BIG SHOW
Page 1 of 1