Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IrishE
Admin
Admin
IrishE

75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL Empty
PostSubject: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 pm

Have you guys seen this news story yet?... This is CRAZY!! and this is where I'm planning on spending my honeymoon.... guess I have to pack a bathing suit AND a hard hat

Ray jumps, kills boater off Florida Keys
(Agencies)
Updated: 2008-03-21 09:09

MIAMI -- A ray leaped onto a boat off the Florida Keys on Thursday and knocked a woman to the deck, killing her, wildlife investigators said.

"It's a bizarre accident," said Jorge Pino, an officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL 0013729e4abe094d4db607

An eagle ray is seen on the deck of a boat in a handout photo. [Agencies]

The woman and her family were aboard a boat in the Atlantic Ocean, off the city of Marathon in the Florida Keys, he said.

"A large ray jumped out of the water and collided with the victim," Pino said.

The impact threw the woman backward and she hit her head on the vessel, he said. Investigators initially said one of the animal's venomous barbs had stabbed her, but they later said there was no sign of a puncture.

An autopsy was pending.

"We believe she died as a result of the impact between herself and the spotted eagle ray," said Gabriella Ferraro, a spokeswoman for the wildlife commission.

The ray weighed about 80 pounds (36 kg) and had a wingspan of 5 to 6 feet, Ferraro said. The boat was traveling at about 25 mph (40 kph) when the animal collided with the woman, killing both, she said.

Investigators identified the woman as Judy Kay Zagorski, 57, of Pigeon, Michigan.

Spotted eagle rays are common in warm or tropical waters and are often seen near coral reefs. The can grow to more than 8 feet across and have two to six short, venomous barbs near the base of their whip-like tails, according to the Florida Museum of Natural History's Web site.

The rays often swim near the water's surface and can leap out, especially when pursued, but are generally shy of humans.

"All rays leap out of the water from time to time but certainly to see one collide with a vessel is extremely unusual," Pino said.

In 2006, a spotted eagle ray leaped onto another boat in Florida waters off the Fort Lauderdale area and pierced the heart of an 81-year-old man with its barb. He survived.

Steve Irwin, the host of the "Crocodile Hunter" television show, was killed by another type of ray while filming underwater on Australia's Great Barrier Reef in 2006. He died when a stingray's barb pierced his heart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
DadVail08
WannaBee
WannaBee
DadVail08

PostSubject: Re: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Here I am expecting the story to be about another person getting stabbed in the chest but no! Stingrays will effing knock you out!
Back to top Go down
IrishE
Admin
Admin
IrishE

PostSubject: Re: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 pm

DadVail!!! Glad to see you finally joined our forum!

Yeah, no sh** about the stingrays huh?... I'm waiting for the FOX special.."When Stingray's Attack!"

makes me think twice about that whole petting STingray's at Seaworld and The GA Aquarium...

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
ylwjacket
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Re: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Almost happened to me last spring in the Gulf of Mexico. Went to the marina to run the engines, and decided to take the boat out for a little run. Once out, I decided to throw some lines out for kingfish and mackerel.

I had 2 on, and put the boat in neutral, while trying to untangle these dumb fish (bad idea by yourself in a 40 foot boat). While doing that, a ray leaped out, and hit the gunwale on its way back into the water. I thought I was dead when it came out of the water, because it would have knocked me out, and I would have drifted to Mexico with that stupid thing on top of me.
Back to top Go down
bdobbins79
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 12:53 am

I have had similar experiences fishing around the air force towers in the Gulf. A pod, school, whatever of Manta Rays(Devil Rays) came through and there were a bunch. I saw at least 30 times a GIANT ray with every bit of 5-8 foot wingspan get about 5-6 feet out of the water, needless to say we headed back at a slow speed.

I had no idea they did shit like that, it was weird.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL   75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL Empty

Back to top Go down

75lb Stingray kills Michigan Woman in Marathon FL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meet The Machine :: Open Forum :: Ramblin' On-
Jump to: