Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

recruiting discussion

Go down 
+2
phatman30318
RomanJacket45
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

recruiting discussion Empty
PostSubject: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 am

So far we have some quality defenders committed, assuming they stay that way. Would be nice to add some DBs with wheels though.

Offensively, several athletes are interested in playing QB for us, not sure that's a great thing given that the last athlete who played that position struggled. WRs are going to be watching our passing game, I think.

RBs should want to come play here, I would think.

Also looks like we are hitting in state really aggressively. With the last two classes and this one shaping up, it looks like we may be nosing our way into blue chip territory.

Does anyone have any inside info? I don't subscribe to Rivals or Scout, but do visit the sites for free info.
Back to top Go down
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Well looks like Mike Gilliard and Antonio Foster may commit soon, and Philip Lutzenkirchen is an absolute stud. Daniel Drummond would be our Peyton Hills. Any news from anyone else?
Back to top Go down
phatman30318
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

do you think we'll beat Florida out for Gilliard and Foster?
Back to top Go down
GTland03
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 6:35 pm

how can you say that gilliard and foster will commit to us soon? do you know something that we dont?
Back to top Go down
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 am

They have been extremely interested in Tech and Gilliard has it down to us and Florida. I don't know for certain that they will commit but with the way the new staff is on the ball it would not surprise me.
Back to top Go down
vamosjackets
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 am

RomanJacket45 wrote:
Offensively, several athletes are interested in playing QB for us, not sure that's a great thing given that the last athlete who played that position struggled.

So, would you prefer that we didn't have an "athlete" playing QB for us in this system??????????

scratch
Back to top Go down
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 pm

vamosjackets wrote:
RomanJacket45 wrote:
Offensively, several athletes are interested in playing QB for us, not sure that's a great thing given that the last athlete who played that position struggled.

So, would you prefer that we didn't have an "athlete" playing QB for us in this system??????????

scratch

I think its pretty obvious he means a Mike Vick style QB, As opposed to what we had last year.
Back to top Go down
droopyGT
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz
droopyGT

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

phatman30318 wrote:

I know you may be referring to just this player, but if you look at our latest recruiting class, there are a number of players we signed that had offers from factories. I didn't realize until I looked it up, but we can and we have "beat out" schools like Florida, Ohio State, Ugag, Bama, and Auburn.
Back to top Go down
phatman30318
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 5:13 pm

droopyGT wrote:
phatman30318 wrote:

I know you may be referring to just this player, but if you look at our latest recruiting class, there are a number of players we signed that had offers from factories. I didn't realize until I looked it up, but we can and we have "beat out" schools like Florida, Ohio State, Ugag, Bama, and Auburn.

I'm aware that we've beaten out other schools for recruits. My comment was directed towards these two recruits - both of whom have been offered by UF.
Back to top Go down
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm

vamosjackets wrote:
RomanJacket45 wrote:

scratch

I was referring to Reggie Ball or Michael Vick type athletes who are better athletes than quarterbacks. They can be exciting to watch but people like Joe Hamilton, the man was an athletic quarterback, not an athlete playing QB.
Back to top Go down
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 5:58 pm

phatman30318 wrote:

We do have less depth than Florida so we can offer those boys instant shots at the two deep, plus big-city life over Redneck land Gainesville life. Also, Gilliard just might make a good safety based on his speed, albeit a big safety but big, fast safeties go in the first round. Thomas Davis, anyone? Greg Blue? Our best safeties in recent memory were Butler, Reis, and Landry, and all of them were over 210 lbs. In the run-oriented ACC I'd rather have a 215 lb 4.65 guy than a 190 lb 4.45 guy.
Back to top Go down
vamosjackets
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:55 pm

RomanJacket45 wrote:
vamosjackets wrote:
RomanJacket45 wrote:

scratch

I was referring to Reggie Ball or Michael Vick type athletes who are better athletes than quarterbacks. They can be exciting to watch but people like Joe Hamilton, the man was an athletic quarterback, not an athlete playing QB.

Not that I want him or anyone of his character anywhere near our program, but Mike Vick would have absolutely OBLITERATED defenses in this offense. Heck, I think Reggie would've been very good in this offense. A guy like Pat White is what we need. Joe Hamilton would be REALLY Freakin' good in it too. So, I guess where we differ is the terminology of "athletic quarterback" vs. "athlete playing QB".

For instance which one of those two definitions would you use for the following (I'll give mine in parentheses):
1. Mike Vick (athlete playing QB)
2. Reggie Ball (I can't make up my mind)
3. Joe Hamilton (athletic QB)
4. Pat White (athlete playing QB)
5. Vince Young (athlete playing QB)
6. Hines Ward (athlete playing QB)
7. Randall Cunningham/Steve Young/even Brett Farve or Elway (athletic QB)
8. Tim Tebow (athletic QB, I think)
9. Shawn Jones (athletic QB)
10. Tommie Frasier (athlete playing QB)
11. Eric Crouch (athlete playing QB)

The thing is, I would be EXTREMELY happy if we recruited any of these guys as QB's for our system.

Another interesting excercise: Rank those same QB's in the order you would want them for our system (character issues asside):
1. Mike Vick
2. Vince Young
3. Tommie Frasier
4. Cunningham/Young/Farve/Elway
5. Joe Hamilton
6. Eric Crouch
7. Pat White
8. Tim Tebow
9. Shawn Jones
10. Hines Ward
11. Reggie Ball

That was really hard to do for me on some of those decisions. And, I guess that's my point. For this offense, what do we really want??????? A Frasier led Nebraska team running the TO obliterated a Weurfel led Florida team running the fun and gun in the national championship not that long ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recruiting discussion   recruiting discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

recruiting discussion
Page 1 of 1