Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Board Bonding

Go down 
+7
TheMachine
blackprix
phatman30318
BUZZingFAN
GTWannabee
geebee2
Tech Head
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Maybe this thread could be us coming together at the base where we are all the same! What do the Machiners, Buzzoffers, Hivers and Stingtalkers have in common that can allow us to unite. Holy smokes GT football! We are all GT football fans

So I pose this question that comes up every year on each board that brings posters closer.

First to the Machine most memorable GT games you have played in? If you could why they were so special?

To the fans of all boards, races, and genders, what was the greatest GT games you experienced as a GT fan?

Last edited by Tech Head on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Well I am currently 33 year old. My days don't go back as far as many guys, but this is my fondest memory. I was never taken to games with my dad since he wanted me to choose my own path when it came to sports. However my Aunt and Uncle took it upon themselves to immerse me into UGA football.

Now bare in mind I was going to all the UGA games when I was 5-13 y/o. I was going to just enjoy football. I never really cheered for UGA since I was there to just have fun and tailgate with my family. However when I turned 13 I had an epiphany. I did not like the people I saw at UGA games. I was not here cheering for the dawgs so why am I still going. I must not be a dawg fan so who did I like?Well when the Tech played UGA in Athens and John Dewberry lead the yellowjackets to an asswhooping of those sorry ass dawgs in Athens I showed the world that I was a Tech fan through and through. I had worn neutral colors but had a hat with me that I kept in my jacket. It was yellow and white and had dawg ears on it. It said to hell with GA on it. When I got into the stadium I put it on and never looked back. I will never forget my Uncle telling me that I was no longer welcome to come with him to UGA games. I told him that was just fine with me and understood he would not want me back since we just whooped that ass.. Yes my uncle and his older children corrupted my mouth at an early age so the ass whooping comment was not a shocker to him. He did chuckle at me. I have used his tickets from time to time to go to Tech games in Athens.

Next fondest memory was taking my soon to be wife to the Tech/UGA game in 01. Man that was cold as balls....... Rainy but one hell of a day.

I took my son to his first game in 05. He was only 2, but just having him there with me was priceless.

1990 Citrus bowl and the 85 Holiday Bowl were very fond memories too.

Last edited by geebee2 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GTWannabee
JacketFan
JacketFan

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Most Memorable Game   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Dangit, I'm going to try to get onboad with all this "male bonding" stuff - just no one try to hug me at the Jax St. game. I will be with family!!

Ok, so my favorite game is recent. The Army game of last year was my first game. It was also my son's first game. He was only 8 months old at the time, so we only made it through the first half. He slept through the second quarter. The whole experience was awesome. His second game (my third) will be the Jax St. game to open the 2008 season.
Back to top Go down
BUZZingFAN
JacketFan
JacketFan

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Tech Head wrote:
Maybe this thread could be us coming together at the base where we are all the same! What do the Machiners, Buzzoffers, and Stingtalkers have in common that we allow us to unite. Holy smokes GT football! We are all GT football fans

So I pose this question that comes up every year on each board that brings posters closer.

First to the Machine most memorable GT games you have played in? If you could why they were so special?

To the fans of all boards, races, and genders, what was the great GT games you experienced in as a GT fan?

Awesome topic.

- 1999 UGA: 'nuff said
- 1990 Citrus Bowl: Can it count if I actually didn't go to the game? I swear I've watched the tape of this game no less than 30 times in my lifetime. I watched it so much the tape quality became so bad it was unwatchable. Heck, I watched it so many times to this day I can rattle off the plays before they happen and tell you what Dick Vermeil and Brent Musberger are going to say next.
Back to top Go down
phatman30318
JacketFan
JacketFan

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:40 pm

I've been to several GT games and missed some great games. The best game that I've watched at home was the Clemson game when Calvin caught the game winner. I was in AZ at the time and my wife and I watched the game to the bitter end - thinking we were gonna lose, but not giving up. That was a pretty fun game to watch.

However, for a more personal reason, probably the best time that I've had was actually at T-day. The football wasn't that good, but it was my first time taking my daughter (9 months) to a game. By the way, my daughter is going to be a yellow jacket fan and a college football fan - by definition.
Back to top Go down
blackprix
Buzz
Buzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Tech Head wrote:
Maybe this thread could be us coming together at the base where we are all the same! What do the Machiners, Buzzoffers, and Stingtalkers have in common that we allow us to unite. Holy smokes GT football! We are all GT football fans

To the fans of all boards, races, and genders, what was the greatest GT games you experienced as a GT fan?

TH:

You are asking a GT fan who has been to TOO many games to count to give you best games????

OMG - there have been many and everytime I look back I see this game as a TURNING POINT in watching GT football. Since I've been around since the 70's and a lot fo those years weren't very good - I use to wonder if I would ever see the day where I could say ... "GT can be very good and back in the national limelight"

That game was the 1990 Clemson game at BDS. It was one of the most hardnosed, stick it in your face, blood on the field game I have every watched in person (and I have been to 100s of games).

Two exceptional teams with great coaching and a lot on the line. Three goal line stands (something I had never witnessed before) and in person.

Sitting there with a bunch of friends (all season ticket holders) and saying to one of them just before it happened ...

'this game is going to be won on a return' Shocked

Clemson kicks off to GT in the 4th Qtr and Kevin Tisdale gets the ball and runs it back 80 yds!! My buddy shook 25 lbs off me during that runback! Unbelievable, that I said it (cause I meant us or Clemson), and it was us that got it done.

Tisdale had not been on the return team the whole season and asked Coach Ross THAT WEEK, if he could run back KO returns... it was the Gods saying ... 'go Kevin go'!

One of the best games I've seen by BOTH TEAMS ... tough game for the loser cause everything was left on the field that day. Great party that night too! bom
Back to top Go down
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
TheMachine

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Mine was clemson game 04' there is a powerful story about it as one of the other topics! Check it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:39 pm

blackprix wrote:

TH:

You are asking a GT fan who has been to TOO many games to count to give you best games????

OMG - there have been many and everytime I look back I see this game as a TURNING POINT in watching GT football. Since I've been around since the 70's and a lot fo those years weren't very good - I use to wonder if I would ever see the day where I could say ... "GT can be very good and back in the national limelight"

That game was the 1990 Clemson game at BDS. It was one of the most hardnosed, stick it in your face, blood on the field game I have every watched in person (and I have been to 100s of games).

Two exceptional teams with great coaching and a lot on the line. Three goal line stands (something I had never witnessed before) and in person.

Sitting there with a bunch of friends (all season ticket holders) and saying to one of them just before it happened ...

'this game is going to be won on a return' Shocked

Clemson kicks off to GT in the 4th Qtr and Kevin Tisdale gets the ball and runs it back 80 yds!! My buddy shook 25 lbs off me during that runback! Unbelievable, that I said it (cause I meant us or Clemson), and it was us that got it done.

Tisdale had not been on the return team the whole season and asked Coach Ross THAT WEEK, if he could run back KO returns... it was the Gods saying ... 'go Kevin go'!

One of the best games I've seen by BOTH TEAMS ... tough game for the loser cause everything was left on the field that day. Great party that night too! bom

Man that 90 Clemson game was unreal! The goal line stand to hold Clemons out of the end zone was the best defensive moment I have ever seen. Great Memory BP
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:40 pm

TheMachine wrote:
Mine was clemson game 04' there is a powerful story about it as one of the other topics! Check it out.

Machine did you have a good game in 04?
Back to top Go down
MissBeeStung
WannaBee
WannaBee

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:10 pm

You guys are pulling my heart strings talking about mushy stuff! Next, you're going to start watching Oprah!

My favorite game was this past year....UNC. Believe it or not I went to UNC in the dark ages and never was much into UNC football....they sucked in the 80's. Anyway, my 9 year old son is a HUGE Josh Nesbitt fan and Josh threw his first touchdown pass in that game (to Greg Smith I think). My son, who is tough as nails, started crying because he was so happy for Josh. My husband and I couldn't believe it....he then said, "I'm so proud of my Josh!".

Great show last night, btw.
Back to top Go down
MissBeeStung
WannaBee
WannaBee

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Holy crap....my age is posted to the left....I guess I need to remove the ole birthday from my profile. I really don't look a day over 42.
Back to top Go down
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:41 pm

MissBeeStung wrote:
Holy crap....my age is posted to the left....I guess I need to remove the ole birthday from my profile. I really don't look a day over 42.

I'll be the first to say two things. Love the story about your son. My son like I am sure many other sons were big Calvin fans. I broke my heart to tell him the day of the Samford game that Calvin was no longer on the team. He cried his little 4 year old heart out, but once I told him that another great player was wearing his number he became a big Dwyer fan.

The second thing is ------I really don't look a day over 42----- this post becomes meaningless without pics;)
Back to top Go down
nwgatech
TrueJacketFan
TrueJacketFan
nwgatech

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 pm

Most amazing to watch on TV.... Clemson '04, Clemson '90, UVA '90....

Weirdest win in person, Mi. St. in '85 All-American Bowl (still got my souvenir shirt)

Greatest win in person '84 Clemson when Chuck Easley had made several critical runs for hard yards and then pounded the ball in from the 1 for a win

First Game ... Blew my mind as a 4 year old kid - Tulane

Most Dangerous Game ... Tech giving UGA fits in Athens w/ Jim Bob Taylor and Robert Lavette ... RL outrushed Herschel that day but GT lost in the end.... Game was much closer than final score. My cousin (big UGA fan) gave us his tickets to go. His best friend sitting next to us told my cousin he thought he was going to have to get his tail beat defending us against the upper deck rednecks at Sanford (I was thirteen)

Funnest Game ... Tech beat UGA in Athens in about '84? ... My other cousin was freshman at UGA and sneaked me into the student section with a UGA ID and a dark pair of sunglasses (probably not hard but at 16 I thought it was big stuff) Wore a neutral color but this drunk frat kid figured me out. Threatened me to impress his girlfriend. I bowed up to him and he got scared and backed down. When he saw his buddies laugh at him he left embarrassed... I knew then that UGA was all bark and no real bite...

Funniest thing to me then.... Classless looking back on it but was at GT game when the students through fish and beer bottles at Dan Devine for running up the score....

Most satisfying.... Watching GT beat UT in Knoxville in 1977 and in ATl in 1986 - lots of Vols where I live

Most frustrating ... Seeing Eddie Lee Ivery get hurt and UGA come back from being down 2 or 3 touchdowns and beat us 29-28... Eddie Lee was my hero!

Proudest ... When we beat Bama in Birmingham against the Bear..... I kept looking at the scoreboard after it was over with and saying I couldn't believe it.... Really couldn't believe it the rest of the season

Best EVER for me! 1990 Citrus Bowl for obvious reasons.....
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 1:50 pm

nwgatech wrote:
Most amazing to watch on TV.... Clemson '04, Clemson '90, UVA '90....

Weirdest win in person, Mi. St. in '85 All-American Bowl (still got my souvenir shirt)

Greatest win in person '84 Clemson when Chuck Easley had made several critical runs for hard yards and then pounded the ball in from the 1 for a win

First Game ... Blew my mind as a 4 year old kid - Tulane

Most Dangerous Game ... Tech giving UGA fits in Athens w/ Jim Bob Taylor and Robert Lavette ... RL outrushed Herschel that day but GT lost in the end.... Game was much closer than final score. My cousin (big UGA fan) gave us his tickets to go. His best friend sitting next to us told my cousin he thought he was going to have to get his tail beat defending us against the upper deck rednecks at Sanford (I was thirteen)

Funnest Game ... Tech beat UGA in Athens in about '84? ... My other cousin was freshman at UGA and sneaked me into the student section with a UGA ID and a dark pair of sunglasses (probably not hard but at 16 I thought it was big stuff) Wore a neutral color but this drunk frat kid figured me out. Threatened me to impress his girlfriend. I bowed up to him and he got scared and backed down. When he saw his buddies laugh at him he left embarrassed... I knew then that UGA was all bark and no real bite...

Funniest thing to me then.... Classless looking back on it but was at GT game when the students through fish and beer bottles at Dan Devine for running up the score....

Most satisfying.... Watching GT beat UT in Knoxville in 1977 and in ATl in 1986 - lots of Vols where I live

Most frustrating ... Seeing Eddie Lee Ivery get hurt and UGA come back from being down 2 or 3 touchdowns and beat us 29-28... Eddie Lee was my hero!

Proudest ... When we beat Bama in Birmingham against the Bear..... I kept looking at the scoreboard after it was over with and saying I couldn't believe it.... Really couldn't believe it the rest of the season

Best EVER for me! 1990 Citrus Bowl for obvious reasons.....

Great post NW.
Top 9
1. GT vs Virg 90
2. GT vs Clems 90
4. Ross's first Victory of GA
5. Oleary 1st victory of GA
6. Oleary's 2nd vict of GA
7. Oleary's 3rd vict of GA
8. Clemson game with Watkins catch in the endzone
9. GT vs ND last year

Couple notes: Ross's first victory over GA was @ GA I was pretty young. After we beat them those GA fans were so angry and shocked. One redneck was so angry he spit this huge dig infested luge all over my back. What class he had considering I was just a kid, and to take out his anger he displaced it on a kid. That is when I first realized how big the rivarly was and that being a GA fan meant you had a mental disorder. I always knew this but it just really made me know experientially.

Watkins catch game was a great one as well. During the first half I got sick due to a stomach flu. I was throwing up, and went to the medical staff, they gave me this orange liquid medication thing to suck on. Well the more I took the better I felt. By the second half I was ready to go. Great second half. When Watkins made his catch I was the first to see it in my section and I started jumping up and down with the medicine in my hand and it flew out of my hand accidentally. When it flew out you could see all this orange fluid fly all through the air landing all over the Clemson fans below. It felt as if it was their blood being spilled all over the place. Never would do that on purpose but it sure was funny to see. Great game. After the game we (dad and brother) were able to go right down to where the players were and it was just such a exciting time. We felt so good with the program, and comfortable that Oleary was going to take care of us.
Back to top Go down
allamericanbuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan
allamericanbuzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 pm

just curious, but why didn't you mention the Hive in a thread about board bonding?

Here are my favorite GT games:
UGA 1998
UVA 1998
UNC 1998
UGA 1999
Clemson 2000
NC State 2002
Auburn 2003
Clemson 2004
Auburn 2005
Miami 2005
UVA 2006
VT 2006
ND 2007
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm

allamericanbuzz wrote:
just curious, but why didn't you mention the Hive in a thread about board bonding?

Here are my favorite GT games:
UGA 1998
UVA 1998
UNC 1998
UGA 1999
Clemson 2000
NC State 2002
Auburn 2003
Clemson 2004
Auburn 2005
Miami 2005
UVA 2006
VT 2006
ND 2007

Good list American. I just added the hive. I guess it was my unconscious mind Shocked working because I don't really have anything against stingtalk, but just have had anger with the hive. Thanks for calling me out. pale
Back to top Go down
allamericanbuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan
allamericanbuzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Tech Head wrote:

Good list American. I just added the hive. I guess it was my unconscious mind Shocked working because I don't really have anything against stingtalk, but just have had anger with the hive. Thanks for calling me out. pale

wasn't trying to call you out, I figured you just glossed over it and since that's where I post the most I wanted to be represented. Wink

Here's a little more info about my favorite games:
UGA 1998 - I was Buzz for this game which is one reason it was so awesome for me!
UVA 1998 - I injured myself jumping out of the East stands right before half-time. After the game I was on the training table next to Joe Hamilton. I told him, "Good game."
UNC 1998 - I flew with the team to this one which by itself was really cool
ND - 1999 - I forgot to mention this one. Beating them with their lucky charm shirts. Joe H even caught a TD!
UGA 1999 - Got a foot long piece of the goal post
Clemson 2000 - The Catch
NC State 2002 - Watched this at an engagement party of mixed company (GT & UGA fans) GT won and UGA lost...what a great day!
Auburn 2003 - My first game as an alum. I was really drunk that day.
Clemson 2004 - Sadly I got too drunk tailgating and didn't make it inside. Embarassed
Auburn 2005 - What a great game to attend.
Miami 2005 - Had tickets to go but the hurricane ruined it. Ended up buying XM satellite to listen to the game while camping with our tailgate crew. I still don't know how we pulled that one out but we were singing IARRFGT in the middle of nowhere
UVA 2006 - This was IMHO Reggie's finest game. Two great bombs to Calvin in stride.
VT 2006 - Total domination
ND 2007 - Anytime we beat ND it's great, especially at South Bend
Back to top Go down
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz
Tech Head

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:07 pm

allamericanbuzz wrote:
Tech Head wrote:

wasn't trying to call you out, I figured you just glossed over it and since that's where I post the most I wanted to be represented. Wink

UGA 1998 - I was Buzz for this game which is one reason it was so awesome for me!
UVA 1998 - I injured myself jumping out of the East stands right before half-time. After the game I was on the training table next to Joe Hamilton. I told him, "Good game."
ND - 1999 - I forgot to mention this one. Beating them with their lucky charm shirts. Joe H even caught a TD!
Clemson 2000 - The Catch
NC State 2002 - Watched this at an engagement party of mixed company (GT & UGA fans) GT won and UGA lost...what a great day!
Clemson 2004 - Sadly I got too drunk tailgating and didn't make it inside. Embarassed
Miami 2005 - Had tickets to go but the hurricane ruined it. Ended up buying XM satellite to listen to the game while camping with our tailgate crew. I still don't know how we pulled that one out but we were singing IARRFGT in the middle of nowhere
UVA 2006 - This was IMHO Reggie's finest game. Two great bombs to Calvin in stride.

Representing you are, nice run down. Being Buzz, and being next to Joe on a training table, nice work. Respect! Even if you are a hiver
Back to top Go down
droopyGT
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz
droopyGT

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:09 pm

allamericanbuzz wrote:

Clemson 2000 - The Catch

AAB, your name makes so much more sense now. Also, if you were up for it, I think you'd make a great guest on the radio show. I'm sure some people have burning questions for Buzz. (and the person who was in the suit)
Back to top Go down
allamericanbuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan
allamericanbuzz

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 10:45 pm

droopyGT wrote:

AAB, your name makes so much more sense now. Also, if you were up for it, I think you'd make a great guest on the radio show. I'm sure some people have burning questions for Buzz. (and the person who was in the suit)

haha, I don't know what people would like to know about Buzz, but if I'm ever available that sounds like it would be fun. I'm probably much better behind a keyboard than on the air though. I mean I did perform in silence. Wink
Back to top Go down
MissBeeStung
WannaBee
WannaBee

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 12:26 pm

geebee2 wrote:
MissBeeStung wrote:

I'll be the first to say two things. Love the story about your son. My son like I am sure many other sons were big Calvin fans. I broke my heart to tell him the day of the Samford game that Calvin was no longer on the team. He cried his little 4 year old heart out, but once I told him that another great player was wearing his number he became a big Dwyer fan.

The second thing is ------I really don't look a day over 42----- this post becomes meaningless without pics;)

You are funny geebee2.....I'm not falling for the old "meaningless without pictures" trick. But I do love your story about your son and Calvin's departure. My son took that really hard as well. It's incredible how much the kids love these players. We are raising them right to love GT Football from as early as they can remember!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Board Bonding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Board Bonding   Board Bonding Empty

Back to top Go down

Board Bonding
Page 1 of 1