Meet The Machine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?

Go down 
+4
33jacket
ncjacket
gatech87
TheMachine
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
TheMachine

Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? Empty
PostSubject: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes I think it would, even If Josh Nesbit did get hurt it would not be a total disaster. If Booker ran the triple option with his marginal athletic ability the offense would be less effective but still effective enough to put points on the board. The key is being able to read the defense, the quarterback has to read the defensive ends/ linebackers while limiting his mistakes. In the triple option mistakes=turnovers, since the ball is being exchanged so often. A sound and disciplined defense stops the triple option, which leads to the next question are the defenses in the ACC or just teams we play disciplined enough to stop the option?
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
gatech87
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: discipline, discipline...   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I think a sound, disciplined 3-O beats a disciplined defense very time...
Back to top Go down
ncjacket
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: I'm not as sure as some I guess.   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Yeah, a sound, disciplined defense may give the 3O problems, but it will give any offense problems. Not that the wishbone we ran under Pepper is the same as PJ's offense, but the teams that beat us back then were the ones that could dominate the OL. Get in the backfield and the option can't work (course that works on other offenses as well). The key will be our ability to adjust on the fly. We know PJ can, the question is whether our offense will be able to this year.

Oh, and I'm not convinced many of the ACC defenses are all that disciplined anyway. Maybe some players can chime in?
Back to top Go down
33jacket
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 11:19 pm

ncjacket wrote:
Yeah, a sound, disciplined defense may give the 3O problems, but it will give any offense problems. Not that the wishbone we ran under Pepper is the same as PJ's offense, but the teams that beat us back then were the ones that could dominate the OL. Get in the backfield and the option can't work (course that works on other offenses as well). The key will be our ability to adjust on the fly. We know PJ can, the question is whether our offense will be able to this year.

Oh, and I'm not convinced many of the ACC defenses are all that disciplined anyway. Maybe some players can chime in?

one thing to also not overlook is PJ's knowledge of his offense and ability to adjust to exploit what the defense is doing even if they think they are sound and discipline.

I have no doubt there will be times the O isn't clicking and not working vs a D...but I feel like that will be few and far between once we get this up and running....which may take time.

I also think the ACC doesn't have a D today that is up to the task. MAYBE VT on a good year....but everyone else is just ok....GT typically was that second team in the past.
Back to top Go down
bog
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Knowing that the TO depends on making the correct reads   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 11:45 am

...what should we look for opposing defenses to do, pre-snap, in order to confuse or "trick" the QB into making incorrect reads?

Would a lot of pre-snap movement and adjustments by a defense hurt this type of offense?

...or do the reads really only matter after the snap?
Back to top Go down
theDude47
WannaBee
WannaBee
theDude47

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

The reads the QB makes after the snap are the most important. If he is able to correctly read the Defensive End at the beginning of the snap, he can move pretty freely. If the DE moves to the inside at the snap, the QB takes it to the outside. If the DE move to the outside, he gives it to the B-back who runs up the center. This is why defenses have so much trouble stopping the triple option. It relies a whole lot on the QB.
Back to top Go down
RomanJacket45
Buzz
Buzz
RomanJacket45

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 4:43 pm

I apologize for being rude but that question is ridiculous. We have plenty of QBs and the ability to run fast does not make or break the option. Lil Joe wasn't the most blazing QB, neither was Godsey, and both ran limited option sets fairly well.

Stafford of UGA ran for a 30 yard TD against us, and Booker could beat him in a race, of that I am certain.
Back to top Go down
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
TheMachine

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 4:53 pm

Good point!
Back to top Go down
http://www.meetthemachine.com
bog
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 am

RomanJacket45 wrote:

Stafford of UGA ran for a 30 yard TD against us, and Booker could beat him in a race, of that I am certain.

MS is no David Greene. He's not bazing fast, but he's a step or two faster than Calvin Booker.

That being said, I think CB would do just fine running this offense.
Back to top Go down
DressedCheeseSide
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz
DressedCheeseSide

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Don't forget we have two incoming freshman who can throw, are fast, athletic, have wiggle in the open field, AND have option experience from HS.

The TO is not that complex, therefore, I think the frosh, with their experience, have as good a shot as anyone come fall camp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?   Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the offensive scheme going to work even if Nesbit got hurt?
Page 1 of 1